WordPress is one of the Open-source Softwares, that can is not only provided for study but easily modifiable & one can easily redistribute its source code.
WordPress is still protected by under the General Public License (GPL) Certificate. This makes freedom to use it but not you can not own rights.
Understand WordPress Logo and Trademark Rules,
WordPress holds 35% shares of all the websites on the internet. Around the globe, a huge number of communities rely on WordPress for their businesses.
To ensure that everything works smoothly, WordPress brand and trademark should have been secured. For this reason, the WordPress trademark moved to The WordPress Foundation in 2010
Each should pursue to utilize the WordPress trademark and logo in your ventures appropriately.
There are as under you must know.
(1) Try not to use WordPress in Domain Name
Just like other trademarks, WordPress Foundation holds the exclusive usage rights for the term “WordPress”.
For Example :
(2) Write WordPress with a Capital
The correct way to spell WordPress is with a capital P. The WordPress community is very concerned about this capitalization.
If You are using “WordPress” anywhere then make sure you use the correct spelling.
The WordPress development team introduced a script into the core of WordPress 3.0 that forces a lowercase p to upper in the trademarked name, WordPress.
(3) The WordPress Logo
You may have seen WordPress logo consists of the letter W in a grey or sometimes white circle with a grey ring around it.
The ideal logo is the height of the letter W is exquisite.
For the commercial purpose, you can download logos & graphics from https://wordpress.org/about/logos/
(4) No Affiliation or Endorsement
You are strictly not allowed to use it in a way that suggests endorsement or affiliation with your project. It could be,
- You can place ‘Powered by WordPress.org’ on your website, but you cannot say ‘Recommended by WordPress’.
- You cannot use the WordPress logo in your product’s advertisements.
- You cannot use WordPress or its logo as part of your own logo.
What Cost For Violations?
- The WordPress foundation takes these violations very seriously.
- You may receive an email or legal notice from their lawyers to comply with their trademark guidelines. These actions may include several legal procedures and would cost you a lot of money.